One Reason NOT to Buy Your Dream Home
Buying a home for the first time can be very intimidating. So many possibilities. Whether on paper or mentally, lists are made of what you want in your first home. Since this is such a major purchase, and something you are going to be living in for at least a few years, you want to make sure you find that perfect house with all the features you have dreamed of.
But there is one reason you shouldn't wait to buy your dream home. It may not exist!
Often times, either the budget is too small for the features desired or the list is so long that finding everything in one house would be impossible for Sherlock Holmes.
By holding out for the dream home, you could be passing up many houses for sale that would be a great fit for you, dragging your search on for months and months.
While I don't advocate you settle for the first home you view, I do recommend making a realistic list of amenities and then rank them in order of importance.
When viewing each home:
- Be open to the features this home offers
- Compare the amenities of the home to the amenities of your list. Does it meet most? Does it have the important ones?
- Does this home offers features that I hadn't originally thought of, but I find to be desirable.
- Is it in a location I like?
- Is this home at a price level I can comfortably afford?
- Will this home be reasonably easy to sale when I decide to move?
By looking at each home with an open and honest mind, it can make your home search much less frustrating. You will soon discover that the dream home you finally select, isn't what you originally thought it would look like.